The overall objective of AICRP (Potato) is to “develop high yielding varieties with desirable attributes for diversified end usage aid improved production technologies for potato in different agro-climatic regions” which could be accomplished through the following specific objectives
- Evaluation and identification of improved high yielding potato varieties according to consumer preferences and user groups and different target environments.
- Evaluation and identification of sustainable agronomic practices and profitable potato based cropping systems for different regions.
- Monitoring of diseases/pests and other problems of potato in varied agro-climates and identified appropriate measures for their control/management.
- Identification of areas suitable for production of disease-free potato seed and develop seed production technology.
- Evaluation and identification of technologies for minimizing post-harvest losses.
- Development of linkages with Agricultural Universities, State Departments of Agriculture/Horticulture, KVKs and other developmental/extension agencies.