The mandates of AICRP is to develop site-specific technologies and the research programme of the Project are undertaken as per the following mandates/ objectives:
- Survey and characterization of the salt affected soils and ground water quality in major irrigation commands.
- Evaluate the effects of poor quality waters on soils and crops and plants.
- Develop standards/guidelines for assessing the quality of irrigation waters.
- Develop management practices for utilization of waters having high salinity/alkalinity and toxic ions.
- Develop and test technologies for the conjunctive use of poor quality waters in different agro-ecological zones/major irrigation commands.
- Develop alternate land use strategies for salt-affected soils (Agro- forestry)
Screen crop cultivars and tree species appropriate to saline/alkali soil conditions